One Thousand Words on My Day at Home

This is most likely not going to be a very interesting post.

That’s probably not recommended why start a blog entry, but I felt I should warn people that I’m going to write about a boring topic.

One of my favorite things is to spend a weekend at home. It’s not cool or exciting, but after a hectic week at work I just like to relax and not leave the house.

When I do get to stay home, I’ll often wonder at the end of the day what exactly I did to pass the time. It seems like I get up with hours and hours ahead of me and the next thing I know, it’s time to go to bed.

So today I kept a list. And this post is my version of a “what I did on my summer vacation” essay, only I’m calling it “what I did on my day off.”

I woke fairly early for a Saturday. 6:30 or so. Have you ever noticed that it’s easier to get up early on the weekends than it is during the week? I’m much more willing to bound out of bed if I know I have the day off.

It’s Australian Open tennis time, so I started the day by having coffee, reading the newspaper and watching some tennis. I don’t usually watch a lot of the Australian Open because of the time difference. I like tennis, but I’m not willing to stay up all night watching it. It’s supposed to end at 7 am but sometimes it goes long. Today was one of those days so I was able to watch a few games.

Then I tackled what my mother and I call “the cat chores.” As you might guess, that involves cleaning the cat litter. Not my favorite task, but I love my cats so I put up with it.

The most time consuming part of “the cat chores” is sweeping my tiger cat, Collins. I’ve written about that before, so I won’t go into it here, but I think that cat would let me sweep him all day.

Then it was time for breakfast. I don’t like how I just seem to get going on the weekends and then I’m hungry and have stop to eat. I wish I was hungry when I woke up so I could just eat right away and get it over with.

I worked on homeowner association things after breakfast. I was stupid enough to suggest that we should have a community newsletter and now it’s become my task. So I spent a couple of hours writing fascinating articles about what you can and can’t throw in the dumpster and where visitors should park. My personal favorite was the paragraph telling people they should make sure to pick up their dog poop. Isn’t it amazing that you’d actually have to tell people that?

I also write the HOA Board meeting minutes. The newsletter is one thing, but the minutes are so boring they’d put you to sleep. Lots of motions and seconds and financial reports.

One of the boards I serve on is led by an older gentleman. Every time a motion is passed he says “declarative vote in the affirmative.” It took me at least six months of meetings until I figured out exactly what he was saying. It’s good thing I don’t take those minutes.

By the time I got those projects done, I was ready to move around a little. When you sit in front of a computer all week, it’s hard to do it on Saturday too.

So I did laundry and cleaned my bathroom.

I often wonder when other people do these chores. I’m a pretty busy person, but other people are much busier. They have two jobs or three kids or are just always out and about. Do they not clean their bathrooms? Do they have a hundred pairs of underwear so they can go weeks and weeks without washing clothes?

It’s funny how little jobs like that can lead to other jobs. It’s no wonder I lose track of time. Today, for instance, I went to do my laundry and I noticed that the clock in our laundry room wasn’t working. So I found a battery and changed it. When I went to get a battery, they had all fallen out of their package, so I stopped to put them all back. The tasks just seem to snowball.

At that point I decided that I deserved a break so I sat down to read for a while, and I admit that I may have fallen asleep. I like naps. So sue me.

When I woke up I decided to finally tackle the project that I had planned to do first thing in the morning, which was to paint the two chairs from my bedroom.

I recently bought new bedding and went from a red comforter to a brown, tan and dark orange one. But my chairs were still painted black and red. It was driving me crazy.

So I sanded them and got the first coat of brown paint on.

While they were drying, I took a short walk, drank a glass of wine and took a shower.

I intended to paint a second coat today, but I was hungry again so I made dinner. Boneless buffalo chicken tenders, made in the oven so they were a tad bit healthier. Or at least I’m pretending they were.

By the time I got the dishes done after eating, tennis was on tv again, so I never got back to those chairs. I guess they’ll get a second coat tomorrow.

And that brings us to writing this post.

So that’s how I spend a day around home. Just “puttering” from one project to the next.

Staying home for the day is greatly underrated. People don’t seem to like to do it. But there’s something satisfying about accomplishing small tasks. Even if it does make for a boring blog post.


2 thoughts on “One Thousand Words on My Day at Home

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s